Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Day 9 - Traditions

Day 9

Christmas Traditions.



As a child, when I lived with my grandparents, I remember how my mom would send huge boxes via greyhound buses (there was no UPS or FEDEX) and the bus service I think was easy to use...anyway, her boxes would be filled with wrapped presents.  So many.  I really looked forward to those huge boxes :-)

Later, when I was 12, I moved to New York with my mom and step-dad -- who quickly became my dad.   My dad worked 6 days a week - every week.  Only off on Sundays and the only holiday he ever took was Christmas Day.

He got home from work every night at 10:07 pm..

Our Christmas as a family was Christmas Eve.  We would open presents at midnight.  I can still remember being so excited for him to come home from work so we could open the presents.

My mom absolutely loved Christmas and the entire house would be decorated.  She even had little Christmas decorations sitting around in the bathroom.

For Christmas dinner we always had her homemade lasagna.

After I grew up and started a family of my own, I kept the tradition of decorating -- a lot but still not as much as my mom :-)   Our Christmas has always been on Christmas morning because of Santa...with my own children.

Now that there are beautiful grandchildren and my kids mostly have families of their own, we get together as a family on the Saturday before Christmas.   Gifts for all the children and drawing names and gift exchange for the adults.   The food is usually light and the house is full and it is wonderful!

My daughter Mary lives far away in Canada and we miss her so much .  Another daughter, Amanda and her family will be moving to Colorado in the not too distant future and Mary may be moving to England.  So the memories of all the Christmas' past will be even more special.   We will continue this tradition in our family with those still here in Virginia and maybe as the kids grow up and their children begin families this family Christmas gathering will continue with them all - no matter where in the world they may be.

So with two of my kids and some of my grandkids moving -- I guess this Nana will become a friend of the airlines again :-)   I look forward to seeing Colorado and the Rocky Mountains -- and who would have ever thought that I would get in a plane and ride in it across the Atlantic to England.  But that will be in my future too.

It has also been a wonderful thing to see my kids start their own traditions with their own families.  <3




Day 9 -  Christmas Past Photo Memory Share

2005 - Christmas party at Duncan Acura Audi - where I worked for 10 years!  I still miss my Duncan family there.

Santa arrived in a red convertible with gifts for all the kids. 
Becky was 9 that year so she got to visit with Santa






Day 9

Photography Challenge

Cozy

This is the first thing that came to mind.... Amanda's little baby - Sadie.









1 comment:

  1. Beautiful :)

    Fortunately, moving to England probably won't be permanent. We're likely to live there a year or two then come to Canada if he can find a job here that's as good as his current one. I'm renewing my permanent residency and I need to be in this country for 3 out of 5 years to be able to renew it again, or I lose it altogether. There's the chance I could connect so deeply to Britain that I won't want to return to Canada, in which case we can definitely fly you over and fly me over whenever :) Flying across the Atlantic actually isn't bad... just long (between 6 and 7 hours).

    Loved Mom's lasagna!! I haven't had one that wasn't a frozen one in years.

    ReplyDelete