Thursday, November 6, 2014

Day 6 -- Memory and Books

Day 5

A Memory I am Thankful for.



The one that comes to mind will always bring a smile to me.  Not just the event itself, but my grandmother, who raised me more than half of my childhood.   This story tickled her so, and she would ask me to tell it to her again and she would laugh and laugh and cover her face with her hands and the tears would stream down her face from how hard she was laughing.   I really really miss her and am thankful for so many memories of time spent with her.

Here's the story. I don't have any pictures from the time, unfortunately.

More than twenty years ago.  I am a very young mother and I have a 5 year old and a three year old in the car with me.  My son Robby was 5 and my daughter Susan was 3.   We were driving a brown 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme that their father had done all he could to make it a hot rod :-)

In the center armrest, between the front bucket seats... he kept a fire extinguisher.  I don't know how old it was or anything about it, except that it was there.  Robby used to get in trouble all the time for messing with it.   Back then, they were not in car seats by this age.  Just a booster seat for Susan if my memory serves me well.

So

We were in the drive thru of a McDonalds.  I was driving.  Passenger seat was empty and Robby and Susan were in the back set.   They had been playing around and I had spoken to them both several times to calm down and quiet down.

I pulled up to where you place your order... and I placed our order.   I was not paying attention to what Robby was doing...at all.  Just as I finished the order and started to pull around the building, I heard this noise and there was an instant white powdery substance completely filling the car.  I stopped and I still remember Robby's surprise expression.  He had pulled the pin from the fire extinguisher and let it loose inside the car.  Both he and Susan were completely white as was everything inside the car.  I was speechless.  The car behind me blew its horn for me to move along so I drove up to the window.  Now.  You must imagine the worker inside the McDonalds.
Because I didn't even realize until later that my face and hair was completely white too.

So I just pull up, act like everything is normal.  Give them the money and take our food.

I wonder sometimes if they still tell that story.  What did they think?  

When I got home, the kids dad said what happened and I breezed through the living room and said ask your son.  I went into the bathroom and that's when I realized I was covered in the white powder too.  And then I thought of the drive thru people and then I probably laughed for an hour.






Photography Challenge

Day 6

Books



Just one shelf of them now in my living room.  I have over 30 boxes in storage and it is a goal to go through them and get them donated :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment